What to Expect When You Visit
Here at Newton Wellesley Eye Associates, we try to make your visit as smooth as possible. Here is what to expect during your visit.
- New patients please arrive 15 minutes early to allow time for our registration process. Minors (under 18) should be accompanied by a parent or should come with a written parental consent to allow the examination.
- Please know and understand your health insurance’s specific policy on eye care coverage. Some policies require a referral and/or a medical diagnosis for coverage. Policies vary and are periodically revised. It is your responsibility to pay any deductible amount, co-insurance, or any other balance not paid by your insurance company.
- We try to run our clinics on time. However, we are sensitive to each patient’s individual needs at his/her visit. We ask you to be understanding of this. If it is your first visit or if extra testing is to be done, expect the visit to take 60-90 minutes. The exam may take less time if it is a return visit.
- Our office is staffed with technicians who assist the doctors with your care. Your visit may begin with a technician obtaining some basic information about your health, recording your vision, checking you for glasses (refraction), and possibly instilling eye drops. The physician will then examine your eyes and address your concerns.
- If you are a contact lens wearer, bring any and all of the information you have about your contact lens prescription, including the box or vial the contacts came in, if possible. Wear your contact lenses and bring your glasses.
- Your visit may include a dilated eye exam. People experience a variable amount of blurry vision and light sensitivity for a few hours after having dilating drops instilled. Please bring your sunglasses to the exam. If you are concerned about driving a car after having the dilating drops, you may want to arrange alternative transportation.
- Emergencies are common and can sometimes cause a disruption in our regular schedule. If a delay is unavoidable, we will attempt to keep you informed of your appointment status. If for some reason you must cancel your appointment, please give us 24-hours notice.
- We are always available for emergency care. In the case of an emergency, please call our office at (617)964-1050. If the office is closed, you will be instructed to call our answering service at (800)594-6720 and our “on call” physician will be contacted.